Friday, February 12, 2010

Porgie + Mr Jones... and The Green Grocer

Alright... I better seriously start food blogging. I think you guys have been waiting to see some of these pics too! : )

As usual I have rejoiced in great food during my xmas and new year holidays, which now seems like a million moons ago.


Let's start with Porgie + Mr Jones. Like my previous blog about how fortunate people are in Balaclava to have one of the best cafe cultures around Melbourne, well I'm sure Porgie + MrJones makes any Hawthorn resident proud.



The very first photo I had taken with my brand new camera Canon 500D (very excited) was captured in this cafe/restaurant. It's the photo of a skinny latte seen above. heh. Then came the food, I had Mr Jones' golden folded scrambles w/ fresh herbs & holy goats cheese on wholegrain toast. Hungry yet? Well, typing that whole line explaining the dish itself makes me hungry. And it really is VERY Good.

What makes this place great however, is probably from the comfort feeling once inside, appearance is hip in a nice way rather than showy, from the cafe out the front with that rustic wooden table (very cool) to.. a lovely courtyard at the back. Although known for their glorious breakfasts, these days the restaurant does dinners on Fri and Sats too. The dining area is charming.. perhaps due its cosy size. This place is definitely worth a return just to see whether their dinners match their breakfasts.

Very happy. Service. Food. Coffee. Atmosphere. Price. Tick all boxes. Find it on 291 Auburn Rd, Hawthorn VIC.

Next, let's head to North Fitzroy, and enter the everything organic The Green Grocer. What makes this place homey is probably because as you enter, the front area allows you to shop for organic groceries as though you're in a market, but nicer in a whole lot of ways. Has a courtyard/herb garden too. I know that I've had this discussion with some of you guys about organic blah blah.. but you CAN taste the difference. I do drink organic, eat organic, ... sure it's not all organic but certain products I do swear by.




Service is super. Food is very good (organic, taste it once and you know). Juices are freshly squeezed, the way juices should be served. Atmosphere comfortable. Price can be $ if you start adding a bit more extras to your eggs (like I did). And I prefer my eggs poached, and this was nicely done. But everything else on the menu is very reasonably priced. Menu is also seasonal, and for anything less than 70% organic (I think that's what the lady said), it'd be stated. A place I would return to any day. Find it on 217 St Georges Rd, North Fitzroy VIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment