Saturday, March 6, 2010

The World is a Book....



My friend once told me this quote by St Augustine, it reads "The World is a Book, and those who do not travel reads only a page". I love this quote, and for those of you whom have never heard of it, I hope you love it too.

Indeed, so here's my blog dedicated to travel.



One of the things I truly enjoy in life, the ability to explore, learn and immerse myself in new territories, being amongst different cultures, and meeting new people. I've been fortunate to have great parents whom had taken us around the world from a very young age. Days before, you're excitedly packing your bags knowing there's something new to look forward to. Yes I had my own bag (probably pink colored too) with my precious stuff. Even the journey itself was exciting, whether it'd be planes, cruiseliners, trains, even buses (Londonbus? :) )! As a child, there are always great benefits, like being spoilt by the aircrew who'd given me coloring books, toys, lollies, and also be invited into the cockpit.. meeting those smart looking pilots. To this day, I still think pilots are hot.

Recently, I've been asked to blog my list of countries (and cities) visited, so here it is:
1. Taiwan - Taipei
2. Hong Kong
3. Macau
4. Japan - Tokyo, Osaka
5. Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur, Kuching, Penang, Ipoh, Johore
6. Singapore
7. Korea - Seoul
8. Thailand - Bangkok
9. Philippines - Manila
10. USA - NY, LA, Washington, San Francisco, Pennsylvania, Las Vegas, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Hawaii
11. Australia - Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Townsville, Hamilton island, Airlie beach
12. Switzerland - Zurich, Lucerne
13. England - London, Cambridge, Oxford, Kent
14. Germany - Koln, Mannheim, Heidelberg, Frankfurt
15. France - Paris, Versailes
16. Italy - Rome, Pisa, Bozen, Venice, Florence
17. Vatican City
18. Belgium - Brussels
19. Netherlands - Amsterdam, Volumdam, Gouda
20. Mexico
21. Liechtenstein
22. Luxembourg
23. Austria - Innsbruck
24. San Marino
25. Canada - Vancouver, Otawa
26. Indonesia - Bali
27. Portugal - Lisbon, Sintra, Almada

Although my last trip overseas to Europe in 08, multiple transits during the 1.5 days journey wore me out plus that need to shower. Plane food was still ordinary but improving (though dependent on airline, KLM and Lufthansa was okay).

I just have to make a quick note that Neil Perry of Rockpool fame had designed the menu for Qantas/Jetstar. I couldn't see much difference in what was being served and the trip via Jetstar (entire 6hr flight) was just shocking and lousy. Bad service and lack of space period. And I've been told AirAsia and TigerAir is just as bad with space, guess you get what you pay for.

Upon returning home, you'd always have that nice "home sweet home" feeling, but you also learn to appreciate all the simple things in life, whatever that may be, simple things like going to your local barista to get great coffee. You also realise we are lucky and more fortunate than most, things we tend to forget simply because we so often take things for granted. And for the most part, most people who have travelled far and wide tend to see things somewhat slightly differently.

(photos of Netherlands and streets of Portugal, photos are mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment