Friday, January 29, 2010

Australian Open Day 1


What a way to finish up my holidays, yes at the Australian Open. The day came with rain, the cold, and well, it really wasn't the best day to have ground passes.

What was great however about being in Melbourne Park is, how you can head around to all the stalls, entering comps, playing games yes..even Wii, or if you need replacement racquets balls anything, there's plenty to choose from. Atmosphere amongst all would be what I truly enjoy, the live feeling that TV never has, seeing the crowds and plenty of tourists (we watched Gonzalez play (pictured) and anyone in the crowd wearing bright red were the Chileans!!).




What's also great about being there during the first few days is that all players will be out on courts either on Day 1 or 2 guaranteed. And even better, big players such as Federer whom wasn't playing a match on Day 1 would be on practice courts. Meaning, you can see them up close. And that's exactly what happened! Except by the time we arrived there, Federer had just done his stuff.. I didn't even manage to take a pic of him, by the time I got the camera out, he's gone!! arghhhhh

By the way, I've only blogged this when the Open is coming to a close, and Federer's just gone through the semis. And, if you heard his speech after, the guy's just so funny. And the best word to describe him, effortless. When one is born with a natural talent, things the person does always appears easy. Don't you agree? Yes you gotta love all things Swiss including the great Roger Federer.

We also spotted other biggies during practice, swedes Robin Soderling (pictured in white) and a very handsome Magnus Norman, mmmmm (pictured purple shirt). Norman is now the coach of Soderling.


My history of tennis dates back to my teens. I was a huge fan and followed tennis all year round (pity my tennis skills sux). In those days I remember players like Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Agassi, Graf, Wilander, Sampras, and even those Sanchezs' and funny man Leconte!! But now returning back to the courts, there were plenty whom I really weren't familiar with.

Anyway we left the day remembering just how enthusiastic everyone was filling up Margaret Court to cheer on local Aussie Tomic, then rain came, play suspended, rain stops, courts get dried up by workers (they would have been very busy that day hehehe). Ready for play, court gets filled. Then rain came again, out comes the umbrellas/raincoats. Same routine for a few more times. Or like us, we pretty much gave up and ran back into the Arena to seek proper shelter. My jeans was drenched even holding an umbrella in Margaret Court... ahh Melbourne Melbourne. heehee

Well you know I love Melbourne for all the surprises it gives me day in day out. : ) that's what makes it very special. Let me blog this next...

No comments:

Post a Comment