Monday, December 28, 2009

Technology, Typewriters and Work - were people more patient in the old times?

My previous post is about fastforward tech! ....
I was just thinking how we live by our emails, to communicate more quickly .. but then what about those hundreds and hundreds of emails you return to after a 1mth holiday from work.. only to hit the Delete button for most after spending a good half day going through the emails and overloading your brain with updates and more updates. And what about patience? When we move from one computer program to another, running 5 programs all at the same time, we expect everything to work in the blink of an eye, and we have no patience to wait if something happens to be 'slower'. So how was it like 15yrs ago? Back then, I was still in uni. I am pretty certain that the company I work for today didn't even have a website then. I wonder, did people at my work just process a lot less info, do things in a slower manner, have that patience to be able to wait for information to come to them? Everything as a record had to be on paper, tedious, handwritten, or typed. Yes there were typewriters in the offices in those days. Do people even use typewriters nowadays other than those law court reporters? If yes, why? Is it perhaps the fear of using a computer and possibly losing information in cyberspace whilst the use of a typewriter keeps in information within your own private space? emm, speaking of typewriters, I still have one. Well I should sell it because it's only taking up space. Anyway, when I started working for my company, there were no email for clients which means that requests would at least have to come via hardcopy. And yes it's true, the more technologically advanced we are..the more busier we all become. I also find that when I catch up with my friends and do the usual 'how have you been?", the first word you tend to hear is "busy".. and then going around the table.. it's about who is busier than who. What's this? A competition for busy-ness?

No comments:

Post a Comment